St. Mary Cathedral: Parish Mission Statement
Our Parish Mission Statement Event: "A Time for New Wineskins"
On July 15 & 16, 2016 we welcomed Lavinia Spirito to our parish, who helped us begin to examine, unite and journey out under the banner of our new parish mission statement. She shared two talks to stir our hearts in response to the unbounding love of Christ.
Lavinia is an active lay teacher, author, spiritual director and evangelist in parish renewal in the United States and Italy. She took our parish mission statement and provided us with insight and inspiration in challenging us to sharing the gospel with a mission mindset.
With much thanks to Lavinia, we are pleased to be able to provide the following video recordings from both days of the event. All videos are used with her permission.
An Evening of Reflection for Ministry Leaders
Friday, July 15, 2016 - In the video from the Friday presentation, Lavinia speaks directly to the challenges we’re facing from a culture which has lost its bearings. She doesn’t leave it there but gives us some perspective and tools to let God work through us in whatever setting we find ourselves. In this video she speaks about:
- The need to get real.
- How knowing that “Jesus is Lord” must break through every part of our lives and how it points us in the direction for ongoing conversion.
- We change hearts by being fully alive in Christ rather than focusing on our failures and limitations.
- Our need for the Holy Spirit moment to moment and how our lukewarmness is symptom for that need.
- Seeing that the Holy Spirit is gifting us through his Church’s means of grace and how this will push us outside or our comfort zones in order to trust not in ourselves but in that Spirit.
- In discipleship lies the explosive power of the Gospel.
NOTE: Due to file size limitations, the Friday evening presentation is provided below through three YouTube links (to maximize video size on your screen, click on the 'Full Screen' icon located at the bottom right hand corner of the YouTube video image).
PART 1 of 3
PART 2 of 3
PART 3 of 3
The Call to Encounter, Transformation & Response
Saturday, July 16, 2016 - In this video Lavinia speaks personally to each of us in as she diagrams and explains the three zones of discipleship. In a very entertaining way she takes a breakfast spoon and explains who the Holy Spirit gifts us as “chocolate syrup” but that syrup needs to be stirred up in order to be nutritious. In this video she speaks about:
- The Holy Spirit is the stirring spoon needed to actualize graces.
- An encounter with Christ must be present if we are ever to be transformed and change in order to read God’s invitations to us.
- Our response is our trusting that the invitation is real and he will provide what is needed for fruitfulness.
- She explains how to listen to God.
- She emphasizes that small groups are essential to keep accountability of God working in our lives.
- The reality that “Jesus is Lord” must be at the basis of all we do.
NOTE: Due to file size limitations, the Saturday morning presentation is provided below through two YouTube links (to maximize video size on your screen, click on the 'Full Screen' icon located at the bottom right hand corner of the YouTube video image).
PART 1 of 2
PART 2 of 2